Wednesday, June 23, 2010

And I watched as they slowly lined up before mine eyes

As a gift or a gag (I've yet to decide which) I was given a 4 square rubik's cube. You should know that the individual who bestowed such a gift was the same who at one time handed me his rubik's cube and laughed as I became so entangled in colors, I felt that I had dropped into a Seuss book!
It was a sweet gesture, but I wasn't about to take on such a challenge. It would sit on my shelf all nice and pretty and pleasently matching on all sides. Until, that is, last night. Stephen walked in with a rubik's cube and was nice enough to explain to me the concept, his techniques, and any "known" theories there might be to solving the riddled color cube. He was ever patient in showing me and I have to admit: I was awstruck by his skill, wishing it weren't so impossible a feat (for such a person as myself) to accomplish. Happiness was unavoidable. He solved it, I watched and marveled, but would not feign success acheivable.
As I walked into my room, tip-toeing as to not wake the other occupants of the house, I paused breifly to glance at the obstacle at hand. And why? After all, it was to sit there pretty and pleasantly matching on all sides til death did us part. I paused, because that evening someone said that success was attainable. And I believed him. Glancing at the cube, fearing failure, I found myself placing it safely in the side pocket of my handbag. Sleep. Morning. It came and a bit too fast.
Skipping the daily events that have no meaning whatsoever for this post....
Ah! The Library! It was science day at the Library. A scientist had come to experiment with Fire and Ice. Lovely things! :)
Afterwards, Perry and I went book hunting. I reached into my side pocket and felt the cube. I pulled it out. "What's that?" Perry asked. "Oh...it's a...um...cube. And it has different colors. You have to match them up right." Perry looked at it and said, "But they're not messed up." I said, "No, you're right. They aren't." He asked if he could see it and I said, "Sure!" Knowing full well the chances I was taking. But it was perfect! Perry would mess up the cube and then I'd have no excuse not to try. Right?
Well, I wish this were how the story unfolds. But NO! Perry handed it back and simply stated, "It's pretty." I agreed. "But you didn't do it," he stated simply. And I watched as the five year old went back to looking at random books. He can't quite read and his writing is improving. But one thing I love and also abhor in the same instance is when God uses a child to teach a life lesson to an adult who is suposed to know more than the said child. No, it wasn't my accomplishment and never would be. It was perfect and pretty and MATCHING! It was all in the order it was supposed to be. "Perfection is ugly!" as stated by my friend, Edwin Godfrey.
So, I drew in a defiant breath and began twisting and turning the cube, mixing and unmatching every perfect little square. I made a mess of that cube!
Scared? Try PETRIFIABLY TERRIFIED! (have no clue if that is a word, but I like it). I didn't try to solve it until I was on my way home. I twisted and turned without rhythm, rhyme, or purpose. I was just twisting and turning. Finally, I arrived home and planted the cube on the fire mantle. I would never figure that cube out. I would never get it right. It would never be beautifully matched again. Not in my hands at least.
So mid-planning for Romania, I began texting Stephen. I offered him the entertainment of my 4 square rubik's cube. He asked if I was fed up with it. I lied. Yes, I was occupied with plans but I used it as an excuse. I wanted the cube gone because it was a constant reminder of my inadequacy and failure. Place it in the hands of the capable and I would never have to go beyond my comfort zone, working to figure the object out.
And then, I picked it up. "It will look wrong, but it's right." "You can do it. Might take a while...but it can be done." "Don't worry about it." And so many more comments from the night before flooded my mind. Yes, Stephen...your words were haunting me.
Then I remembered a truth- I CAN DO ALL THINGS....even a rubik's cube....THROUGH CHRIST!
And as I typed plans for camp, texted Stephen, and made side notes with my fine point sharpie, I began to twist and turn the rubik's cube. Color by color, I watched as they slowly lined up before mine eyes making the cube once again pretty and pleasantly matching.
Unbelief followed by overwhelming Joy and a sense to spread the news: I SOLVED A RUBIK'S CUBE!!! swelled within me.
But God instantly turned that small yet challenging form of entertainment into a life lesson. My life is like that rubix cube. I'm not perfect and that's ok. Because God is twisting and turning and slowly shaping me. One day those colors will line up!!! What a beautiful sight it will be! And what an overwhelming feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment